The world is going through a major difficult time which is nothing less than World war 3, and this time it is humans Vs Coronavirus. At the present the medical professionals and scientists across the world are looking for COVID 19 vaccines and antibiotics, however it is no easy task. As global citizens (not city, not country), we can try our best to take care of ourselves and our near and dear ones.
In this article we would like to share with you a few tips to counter symptoms of coronavirus. Please note this article is only for people who are healthy or under home quarantine and would like to increase immunity against viruses. These basic home made immunity booster drinks will help soothe sore throat, cough and cold.
Some of the COVID 19 symptoms are cough, cold, fever, tiredness, difficulty in breathing. These symptoms are same as the seasonal influenza and hence it is highly crucial for one to be mindful and keep a track of how COVID 19 symptoms are developing over a course of 15-20 days. At the same time, follow the below homemade drinks to keep your immunity up-
1. Ginger water: One of the best medicine for sore throat and cold is ginger. Ginger contains gingerol which has high medicinal properties. Ginger reduces any kind of inflammation and helps to ease cold and flu. Take some ginger grate it in water and let it brew to form a nice strong immunity booster drink. You can add a little honey and mint juice to it if you feel like.
2. Tulsi water: Tulsi is considered to be highly medicinal and one of the easily available immunity booster food/herb in India. It helps soothe fever, soar throat, cold, cough, flu, reduce any kind of inflammation. Take fresh tulsi, grind it and add it to the boiling water. Now a days tulsi drops are available in market and are highly effective as well.
In colder season it is advised to mix ginger and tulsi in our traditional tea/chai, however considering warm temperatures in India, the nature of these herbs is also warm. So it is advised not to mix all of them in one potent drink but instead space out during the day.
3. Turmeric and honey water: Turmeric is a staple immunity booster in India which is used in cooking food almost daily. Turmeric consists of Curcumin, which gives it a characteristic yellow colour, it is anti inflammatory and boosts the immune system. It is best is to boil turmeric, honey and a pinch of salt and black pepper in water and drink it to soother your throat. Try and get your hands (pun intended) on the raw turmeric roots and boil that instead of powders available in market.
4. Honey, ginger, lemon tea: A little more delicious immunity booster drink against the symptoms of coronavirus. Ginger lemon honey is one of the best and tastiest tea sans milk that you can have! Lemon is rich in Vitamin C, promotes hydration, aids digestion and soothes any inflammation. You already know the benefits of ginger as an immunity booster super food.
5. Apple cider vinegar: A magic drink against the symptoms or coronavirus, apple cider vinegar works wonder during cold and cough, it boosts immunity and breaks the congestion in your throat. This strong smell and taste is one of the reason why we don’t use it often as a remedy. If you can take a shot of apple cider vinegar neat, nothing like it. Otherwise, mix one table spoon of apple cider vinegar and a table spoon of honey (or as per your taste) in lukewarm water and drink it.
6. Amla (Gooseberry) juice: Amla is considered as a super food! Excellent source of vitamin C, boosts your immunity and helps fight against bacterial and viral infections. Consuming fresh amla is better than having the sweetened murabba. All you have to do is grate one amla using the smallest/thinner blade side, squeeze the juice, mix it with Luke warm water and drink it. The pulp that is left aside can be used in cooking vegetables and pulses.
7. Traditional Indian tea with herbs: Loved by one and all, our traditional Indian masala tea. Make sure to have it with the herbs like ginger, tulsi, cardamom and black pepper.
Below are two other things that can help you. These might not be easily available, but those who have access to them, should definitely try.
8. Oregano oil: It is not exactly a drink but can definitely help to fight off cold and cough. Oregano oil contains a compound called carvacrol, a helpful microbial agent that can help fight off/treat viral or bacterial causes of cough and cold. You can add few drops (2 to 4) in a cup of lukewarm water and drink it! Avoid it if you are allergic to any of these: mint, sage, basil, or lavender.
9. Osmenthus flower tea: Osmanthus flower tea is quite beneficial to soothe cold and phlegm. It improves overall lung health. A healthy lung is what we need against the symptoms of coronavirus. The Irony here is that COVID 19 is said to originate in China and the Osmanthus flowers are native of China. They are not grown anywhere else in the world at all!